|Entering County Kerry|
|Ireland’s Tallest Mountain, Carrauntoohil|
View from The Lake Hotel
9. Woodlawn Bed & Breakfast - Delightful, accommodating, and close to all sorts of stuff in Killarney. The walls may be thin, but the rooms are comfortable and the hot breakfast is delicious every morning. (I recommend the salmon scramble - scrambled eggs topped with smoked Irish salmon) If you need anything at all, the hostess is more than hospitable and can suggest everything from the best place to get a pint to the most reliable cab service. The prices are just right too and there's plenty of parking if you've hired a car.
8. Budget Car Hire (Rental Car) - Renting a car was the best decision I made while traveling around Ireland. Yes, they drive on the opposite side of the road, and Yes, the driver's seat is on the opposite side of the car, but it's doable. I was fortunate enough to be traveling with a Brit, so it wasn't difficult for her to adjust, but honestly, it's not that much of a challenge to get used to being on the opposite. Budget was friendly, reliable, and available all over Ireland (including a little shop right in Killarney Town Centre).
7. Mac's Restaurant - Good service, great food, and right in the center of all the hustle and bustle of Killarney Town Centre. The lasagna made with Irish beef and Irish cheddar (you get the picture) was melt in your mouth delicious. If you like dessert, they have scrumptious profiteroles made with mouth-watering fresh cream.
|Murphy’s Ice Cream|
6. Murphy's Ice Cream - I have had all sorts of ice cream in my life, but Murphy's, made fresh from cream from Irish cows, is the absolute best I've ever had. They have some pretty unusual flavors, but that's what makes the place so special. My personal favorite was a scoop of Dingle Sea Salt topped with a scoop of Caramelized Brown Bread ice cream.
3. Killarney National Park - 20,000 acres of pristine wildlife, the largest national park in Ireland, and nestled in Killarney. It's pretty much impossible to not notice all the wildlife (fox, deer, birds, rabbits, etc.) that roam around the park. Walk, jog, ride a bike or horse (see below), drive your car (through certain parts), or take a jaunting car, anyway to visit this place, it will be unforgettable.
**All photos were taken by the author of this article.**