Thursday, January 15, 2015

TGIF 1.16.15

With the Oscar season in full swing, I am so glad that Michael Fassbender is not involved in this year's bizarre game of who was/who wasn't nominated. While Michael is safely tucked away somewhere around San Francisco to prepare for the Steve Jobs movie, a lot of people were left scratching their heads on Thursday after the nomination announcements; some screamed, some swore.  I was alarmed by some suspicious snubs. In the 25 years I've been paying close attention to the Oscars, I have come to surmise that there are three levels of snub reactions: Surprised (Oh dear.), Alarmed (What the heck?), Fucking pissed (The Fuck!?!, Sons of bitches!, etc.). My reaction was the latter in 2012 (see 1.24.12 post). But that's all in the past. I write this post in a rather Zen-ish mood before my evening meditation and cup of mint green tea. But mind, with MacBeth and the Steve Jobs bio-pic in the pipeline, I could be trippin' again this time next year. I'm just sayin'.

I noticed this evening that Netflix has just added Frank to its streaming menu. But to my surprise, under the brief description of the film, they list Domhnall Gleeson and Maggie Gyllenhaal as the film's stars. Um, excuse meeeeeeee, but, the lure for 98% of the people who watched Frank was because of Michael Fassbender, HE was the draw. I'm sure the other 2% were like, 'Gee, dudes, did you hear that Domhnall Gleeson and Jake Gyllenhaal's sister have a new movie out about a shy musician genius dude wearing a mask? Let's totally go see this new movie right now'! Netflix really need to get with the Fassy program.

TGiFassy!

6 comments:

Martha said...

As far as Netflix, rude!

Academy this year I don't even care. This is a popularity contest a lot of the time. As Steve McQueen said the campaign should be the performance. But not everyone is as practical as Steve.

Besides no Michael this year so at least I wasn't mad this time. 😇 it's all good.

Hupsakeek said...

TGIF! It is not only Netflix who are in complete denial of Michael. Over here in The Netherlands is happens all the time. Strange because it is an European actor.
And for the Academy Awards.... I hate them. I want to focus on films and not the other bullshit.

Snootiegirl said...

Hey, Simone! Hope you had a good holiday season. Thank goodness the cold and snow stayed away until late December this year, eh?

I was curious how you know where MF is. Haven't seen any new photos.

Simone said...

@Snootie, I read some comments that a few people on twitter spotted Michael in California in the past 7 days, so I just figured he's there to start working on the film. There have been no more London spottings.

Martha said...

I saw a few links to articles that filming has started in the Jobs childhood home. Also most of the people are on the look out for Seth Rogen ??? What?

These people have the opportunity to see Michael an acting genious and they would rather see Seth. SMH.

Oh also because of me and my being such a fan a co-worker saw Frank. She thought it was really weird and didn't like it very much but she really thought Micharl was great. The biggest compliment is that she said he looks so different in every film she has seen him in. So I think this is what makes Michael so great I tell her that he disappears into the role. Maybe on a second viewing she will appreciate it more. She definitely laughed as we were discussing certain scenes.

Snootiegirl said...

Ah, thanks! I'm twitter impaired. I don't know how to do such things. Good thing I have your blog. ;)